Friday, September 28, 2001
‘No one applied to erect towers’THE Subang Jaya
Municipal Council (MPSJ) has never received any application from
telecommunication companies to erect communication towers in the
There are more than 100 communication towers set up within the
MPSJ president Ahmad Fuad Ismail said as far as the council was
concerned, all the towers were illegal, adding that the council had
to act due to public complaints.
He said the council had so far removed three such towers, but
would cease such operations pending guidelines to be issued by the
Housing and Local Government Ministry.
Ahmad Fuad said the council had already issued notices to the
telecommunications companies to remove 115 other towers.
He said some of the notices were issued last year.
“The violations range from (the towers) being too close to homes,
exceeding the allowed height and the companies failing to apply for
MPSJ approval,’’ he added.
He said the council had given the companies six months to apply
He said the council realised that many mobile phone users
complained of poor reception and that the towers were important to
At the same time, he said shopowners rented space out to the
telecommunication companies to earn some money.
“But we have to take into consideration the complaints from
residents living nearby that the (electro magnetic) waves affect
their health,’’ he added.
Ahmad Fuad said the ministry would hold a meeting today and the
council hoped to get the detailed guidelines “to settle all
arguments once for all”.
He said the council hoped to seek clarification on the
installation of towers on apartment blocks, condominiums and shop
apartment buildings to boost mobile phone services.
Ahmad Fuad said once the ministry revealed the guidelines, the
council would study the location of all such towers in the
municipality and start taking action.
“We will honour the six months notice that we have given these
companies and remove the towers that will have to go,’’ he added.